Friday, June 3, 2011

Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance


Len (Tien - renamed by the Vietnamese)
Day 1 continues

Homestay dinner with a Dzao family at the end of a great day riding.  Dinner has many of the elements we've grown used to over the last few days, with one addition.  "What's that?" asks Mark.  "French fries" was the translated reply.
Matriarch of family arrives at table with a large pitcher of water but surprising small cups to drink from.  Quickly learn the Dzao words for "skull" and "bottoms up".   Repetition makes perfect.
Retire for night.
Motorcycle diaries Day 2
My day begins on an optimistic note at 12:03 am when I realise that there is a good chance I will lose that extra 3kg I've gained since the last big trip.  Realism then sets in as I face the prospect of a long and uncomfortable night.  One hour and three toilet trips later and I'm already well on the way to my target.
Vow never to eat French fries again (3:00 am).
Seem to have forgotten the Dzao words for "skull" and "bottoms up".
Worst is over by 5:00 am.  Wonder if T-shirt lady could sell iPho T-shirts in Lower Hutt.
And the bike ride?  Spectacular company and very amicable scenery.
in the first bit of mud I get things badly wrong and have a good tank slapper going for a few seconds.  At times like that having empty bowels is not all bad.  Recovered with only my pride damaged.
Very tired by the end of the day.  Could do with a new arse too.
Suspect I'm still a little under-par.  Have been a bit confused all day.  But at least food is staying in now so should be back to my best by tomorrow.  

Mark
Wonderful evening with the Dzao family staying the stilt house - one big room eat in the centre and sleep around the edge. I would note that we did not finish the pitcher of water above as when we explained about hung over kiwis driving motor bikes in Vietnam it was decided would be safer for the Vietnamese if we stopped.

Day 2
Writing this sitting in Ha Giang beer in hand ( second actually) and several dead insects around us. Day started with Banana Pancakes, pancakes with fried banana inside with honey to go over the top. We then walked down to the local lake, Thac ba Lake, and a boat ride for 20 minutes just to get a feel for the culture around the lake. Then onto the bikes and away we go - a few minutes into the day and my day nearly comes to an end, the mind body co ordination has not kicked in totally and going around a corner one forgets to brake and deaccelerate. I think each of us have had a little experience during the day which has reinforced the fact that not all the old skills have come back.
Lunch - I think I am becoming the trip food commentator. Fried noddles with vegetables and beef - cooked while we sat next to the wok and watched it happen. We missed the secret ingredient which seem to give this a flavour way beyond what was expected. ( Even Toby would have enjoyed this).  

Ross Comments
Another great day.  We are seeing a really friendly, rural side to Vietnam as we ride the back roads.
Will leave the words as I wand to get the pictures up on the web tonight.  Try
https://picasaweb.google.com/ross.bidmead/VietnamByMotorbike02#




No comments:

Post a Comment